GBC Mentoring & CPD Feedback
CPD Presentation: I want I want I want a Green Building Calculator, so I made one
Delegate Q&A session followed
Archway – Architecture Mentoring Program Khartoum Sudan 13th August 2022
- I would like to thank you so much for giving us some of your precious time.
- To be honest this was an amazing experience for us here in Sudan to have someone with your experience give us a session.
- I hope we may have you as a speaker more often.
Sincerely Shahd Gaafar Event Moderator
- The session was very informative and more than expected!
- Thank you so much for your collaboration.
Reem Tageldin Event Organiser
- Thank you for such an Intelligent audience with interesting questions
- (the best I have had so far)
I am a masters student trying to figure out the details of your calculator.
I will most likely be doing my thesis on building sustainability and a deep understanding of this calculator (which is literally the best one I’ve ever seen) would be amazing.
Noah Schneider 26th August 2022
I am studying at the Centre for Alternative Technology in Machynlleth.
We have an assignment and I heard that your tool was the one to go for!
Alana Cox Student at CAT 23rd June 2022
“Well done on all the great work you do BrianSpecMan Murphy.” 11th June 2022
If you’re interested in avoiding green wash and actually calculating embodied and operational carbon, you NEED to know about BrianSpecMan Murphys Green Building Calculator. Check it out on LinkedIn 11th June 2022
Ele George Driving construction sector change // Consulting on sustainable and offsite buildings // Collaboration Hub Manager at Energiesprong // Strategy Manager at Offsite Alliance // Founder of Elevate
GBC and GBE Lectures Feedback
I first encountered Brian Murphy and the GBC spreadsheet at university in my masters program in 2016 and was quite impressed with it. Brian was able to show us very clearly the impact of our design solutions by using the calculator. More importantly with my 16 years of work experience at the time I saw what it could provide, a direct antidote to greenwashing. There had been several industry attempts to move towards a more responsible process for buildings and their environment in the last 20 years. In my experience, these processes tended to focus on ‘add-ons’ (bat boxes, bicycle parking, green roofs) to achieve a sustainability standard. There have always been ways to shortcut around these and the building industry has been typically reluctant to move away from the ‘the way they have always done it’.
Brian’s passion for a more accurate and universal criteria was clear from his first lecture and has not waned in the many discussions I have had with him. I have been working in the private residential market for the last 12 years and typically these projects have small design teams and discussions about what is the best solutions are, become a debate between the contractor and the architect and often the client choses to go with the contractor’s suggestion. The GBC provides a much more robust argument with which to convince the client and the contractor. On a recent project the client was happy to follow the guidance from the GBC, the main contractor was mostly supportive, but the sub-contractors continually challenged our decisions and at every opportunity pointed out to the client that the amount of insulation was not necessary, or the overhang was excessive. The GBC gave the client the confidence to ignore the noise coming from them.
Once the project data is in the GBC you can really examine the design, carbon and cost implications between different types of insulation, or heating systems for example. The GBC openly identifies where the information is coming from how it’s being used so as to really make the calculator transparent. This transparency removes bias and takes a major step towards providing an accurate tool with which to assess a project and ultimately help architects, designers, project managers and clients deliver a more sustainable built environment.
- Architect: Bryan Strom MArch2, AECB
- Practice: SLAB Architects
- ARB Registration: 098603H
- Mob: 07811 513925
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- James Kells (See Q&A 12/03/2022)
- Thats great work you are doing, best of luck with it.
- Thank you James
GBC CPD Feedback
- Jerome Le Dorze
- Following CIAT CPD Video release (awaiting editing before posting here)
- Thanks Brian, I’m always very impressed.
- YOU are the green encyclopaedia.
- I loved the tenets enunciated in the introduction and the calculator is I’m sure a massively useful tool. (I want I want I want!)
- Thanks, Jerome